Monday, June 22, 2009

I'm NOT singing..... NOPE

Kaleo is such a trip. I have spent a lot of time recently on the computer and driving around to find vacation bible schools in our area for our kids to attend. I know that Kaleo is used to the school atmosphere, and while he's at home, he has to deal with 3 younger children. He's used to being with a classroom full of 5 year olds, while I take care of a 3, 2, & 1 year old each day. Therefore, it was my desire to fill his summer with simple activities. I didn't want to overwhelm him with a bunch of lessons and all. I know he wants to have fun! Sometimes parents enrolls their kids in too many things and the kids are so exhausted that they can't really even enjoy the activities.

So I thought.... vacation bible school is simple and it typically lasts for 2 or 3 hours a day or night at the most. There are tons of kids his age, and they do a load of fun activities with them. To top it off, it's either low-cost ($5 or less) or free entirely. I am down with that!

So tonight was the first night of Vacation Bible School at the church that we attend. It's also the first for the season. He did not want to go. He insisted that they would "make him sing". I had no idea what he was talking about. He just did not want to sing. He said it multiple times, and was getting really upset. I explained that he didn't have to sing unless he wanted to and that no one would make him. I told him he'd get to make things, play games, and a bunch of other stuff. He was still a little doubtful about the whole situation.

I was 5 minutes late picking him up and he had his bag full of crafts and a big smile on his face with a report that he got to be simon when they played "simon says". His teacher said he was so well behaved and there was one individual who was shy & he sat with her and helped her get comfortable with the group. He has that kind of spirit about him, and I just love that he is sensitive to other people's needs. He's only 5 and reaching out to others around him that he sees are having a difficult time adapting to whatever the surrounding situation may be.

When we got to the car he told me he wants to come to bible school every day. Too bad it's only a week long!

No comments: